Chicago Teachers Union Scholarship Committee
Chicago Teachers Union and Chicago Teachers Union Foundation shall present regular, vocational, and special education awards each in the amount of $1,000.
The awards are entirely unrestricted as to race, religion, political affiliation, or choice of an accredited college, university, business, trade or vocational school. The applicant must a child of a currently employed, active member in good standing of Chicago Teachers Union, or a child of a deceased member who was in good standing with the Chicago Teachers Union at the time of death, and a high school senior who will graduate this year before August 31, 2021. Special education students are eligible for all scholarships and are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please make certain that the application is completed in full and that it is signed by the applicant and the parent or guardian so that membership can be verified before presentation to the Scholarship Committee of the Chicago Teachers Union Foundation.
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THIS APPLICATION:
- Transcript including class rank.
- Extracurricular activities record.
- College entrance test scores. (Write “none” if the applicant has not taken any tests.)
- List of all monetary scholarships or awards received. (Write “none” if no awards have been received.)
- Applicant’s work employment record, including the type of work, the approximate number of years, approximate hours per week. (Write “none” if the applicant has no employment record.)
- A 500 word or less, typed statement from the applicant on “What I hope to gain from a postsecondary education.”
- Statement of recommendation from a teacher, dean, counselor, or other school educator.
- For special education—proof of enrollment in a special education program from a teacher, dean, counselor, or administrator.
INCOMPLETE INFORMATION WILL BE CAUSE FOR REJECTION
This application must be postmarked or delivered to the Chicago Teachers Union Foundation office before 5:00 p.m. on May 10, 2021. The completed forms should be mailed to:
Chicago Teachers Union Foundation
1901 W. Carroll Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60612-2401
All winners will be notified by letter of the Committee’s decision by May 17, 2021. A list of the winners will be published in the Chicago Union Teacher magazine. The material received by the Committee will become the property of the Committee and will not be returned.