Chicago Teachers Union Scholarship Committee
Chicago Teachers Union and Chicago Teachers Union Foundation shall present regular, vocational and special education awards each in the amount of $1,000.
The awards are entirely unrestricted as to race, religion, political affiliation, or choice of accredited college, university, business, trade or vocational school. The applicant must a child of a currently employed, active member in good standing of Chicago Teachers Union, or a child of a deceased member who was in good standing with the Chicago Teachers Union at the time of death, and a high school senior who will graduate this year before August 31, 2020. Special education students are eligible for all scholarships and are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please make certain that the application is completed in full and that it is signed by the applicant and the parent or guardian so that membership can be verified before presentation to the Scholarship Committee of the Chicago Teachers Union Foundation.
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THIS APPLICATION:
- Transcript including class rank.
- Extracurricular activities record.
- College entrance test scores. (Write “none” if applicant has not taken any tests.)
- List of all monetary scholarships or awards received. (Write “none” if no awards have been received.)
- Applicant’s work employment record, including type of work, approximate number of years, approximate hours per week. (Write “none” if applicant has no employment record.)
- A 500 word or less, typed statement from applicant on “What I hope to gain from a postsecondary education.”
- Statement of recommendation from a teacher, dean, counselor or other school educator.
- For special education—proof of enrollment in a special education program from a teacher, dean, counselor or administrator.
INCOMPLETE INFORMATION WILL BE CAUSE FOR REJECTION
This application must be postmarked or delivered to the Chicago Teachers Union Foundation office before 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 11, 2020. The completed forms should be mailed to:
Chicago Teachers Union Foundation
1901 W. Carroll Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60612-2401
All winners will be notified by letter of the Committee’s decision by Monday, May 18, 2020. A list of the winners will be published in the Chicago Union Teacher magazine. The material received by the Committee will become the property of the Committee and will not be returned.