What is Nurturing Teacher Leadership?
Nurturing Teacher Leadership, established in 1997, is the Chicago Teachers Union/Chicago Public Schools a 2 year program of professional development and candidate support that prepares Chicago Public School teachers for National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification the highest credential a teacher can earn. It includes:
- CTU/CPS Bargaining Agreement annual stipend – $2,217+ annual pensionable stipend ($2,295 by the end of this contract)
- small group facilitation
- collaboration with a cohort of other CPS NBPTS candidates
- individual candidate support from a National Board Certified Teacher
- technical support
- personal mentoring
- 7-day Summer Institute (1st Two Weeks of August)
- resource materials
- graduate credit
- NBCT renewal support
- retake support
- Assessment Center simulations
- weekly classes
- optional Master’s Degree opportunities
ATTEND OUR INFORMATIONAL MEETING
Find out about pursuing National Board Certification, Illinois Master Teacher Endorsement, and the role of the Quest Center in supporting Chicago Public School teachers, librarians, and counselors through the 2-year process.
What is Certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)?
NBPTS (“National Board”) Certification offers teachers the opportunity for career advancement and
- provides an advanced credential consistent with what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do
- certifies that you have the status of one who has met professional teaching standards
- certifies that you have prepared a professional portfolio demonstrating your teaching abilities
- certifies that you have fulfilled the rigorous assessment center exercises
- entitles you to receive the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards endorsement on your ISBE Professional Educator License
For more information on NBPTS click here
What are the Benefits of Nurturing Teacher Leadership (NTL)?
- Illinois NBPTS Master Certification endorsement
- 15 CPS Lane Placement credits
- professional learning community
- 36 hours of university graduate credit
- 1st consideration for Consulting Teacher and Framework Specialist roles
- optional Master’s Degree
- writing institute
- public recognition
- paid coaching incentives
- teacher leadership roles
- state re-licensure requirement met
What are the Requirements for NTL Enrollment?
- 3 years of successful teaching at NBPTS certificate level
- 3 years commitment to teaching in CPS beginning 2020/21 school year
- 51 of your time teaching in the area in which you are seeking certification
- successful completion of the NTL profile
- open to PAT or tenured teachers/counselors/librarians
National Board For Professional Teaching Standards – Five Core Propositions
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience
- Teachers are members of learning communities
NTL – The sole professional development and candidate support provider for CPS Teachers, librarians, and counselors
The Chicago Teachers Union’s Nurturing Teacher Leadership (NTL) program offers a small supportive group setting in which National Board Certification (NBC) candidates work collaboratively and are mentored by National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs). Candidates read, study, and discuss literature and research on current issues and topics in education, applying new or refined insights to their teaching practice. NTL provides multiple resources, support and incentives. Our focus is on developing, improving, and validating teaching practices, thereby increasing student achievement.
During afterschool and Saturday meetings, successful teaching practices are recognized and shared. NTL facilitates all aspects of this intensive 2 year NBC process. We assist teachers with descriptive, analytical, interpretative, and reflective writing required for the National Board portfolio. We provide technical assistance with required documentation of your work; facilitation with student work analyses; support for effective and reflective teaching; professional development (PD) that ties National Board Certification to the CPS Framework for Teaching as well as PD on differentiation of instruction, student assessment design and pedagogy; individual coaching and mentoring, and preparation for the Content Knowledge Assessment Center exercises.
NTL supports all CPS teachers, librarians, and counselors throughout the entire National Board Certification process, providing technical, professional, intellectual, and moral support. After achieving National Board Certification, opportunities are available for NBCTs to continue their learning and to lead and support others — at a professional wage. The CTU Quest Center is teachers working for teachers to improve the learning of Chicago’s children. There are currently more than 2,200 National Board Certified Teachers working in CPS.
Any questions about Nurturing Teacher Leadership or National Board Certification can be directed to Lynn Cherkasky-Davis at 312-329-6274 or e-mail LynnCherkasky-Davis@ctuf.org.